Museum Of Olive Oil & Pelion Oil - Ano Gatzea
The Pelion Olive Museum is located in Ano Gatzea, at the ground floor of a traditional house in the main square of Ano Gatzea’s railway station. The house was built in 1924 by Ioannis Vogiatzis. The first floor housed the family in the winter time while the ground floor was intended for farming jobs that mostly concerned olive picking etc.
The museum displays various objects that were found on site, as a small industry of picking, processing and production of olives was operating there. These various objects are on display in the museum’s interior, as well as in the yard, such as amphora of various sizes that stored olive oil, metal hoops (similar to wooden barrels, where the olives intended for commerce where stored), staves (the long wooden pieces that construct the barrels) as well as an impressive collector 2, 20 meters high and 3 m in diameter.
Its pieces were taken apart inside the museum and were re-assembled in the exterior in order to function for educational purposes. In addition, the process of re assembly was filmed and constructed as a short film.
The building houses two spaces: the first (over 100 sq. m.) is the main museum while the smaller one (around 20 sq. m.) was used for storing oil in four embedded containers. The main space is divided in thematic sections that concern the collection, sorting and trading of olive. When the visitor enters the museum and turns to the right, tools of cultivation are exhibited (such as saws, shears, wooden yoke for harnessing to drugs animals, hooks, knapsack sprayer etc). Then there are collection tools (such as olive baskets of various sizes, ladders, three footed ladder for collecting olives) and finally a counter top about sorting out the olives.